Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Being Black: being human


Being Black

being human

Being black

What does it mean?
Does it mean being poor? Uneducated? Unsophisticated?
Being black?
Does it mean being second best?
Well in my insecurity, within my sphere
It meant all these things. But why?
How was I made to feel this way?
I’ve come to the realization that
Feeling this way was not self-imposed
No Way!
Being black to me meant, being on the bottom rung
Always hoping,only wishing
So I pretended to be colorless
To live in a bubble and I was secure
But security and insecurity have no shape
No color. No size
Formless. Colorless
Just emotion. Just feeling
Now I know I am somebody
I am someone
I am black.
Wouldn’t it have been a shame if I had died?
Colorless?

Taken from unpublished work titled "Muse Melodies"

No comments:

Post a Comment