Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Caribbean black living in white suburbia


Caribbean black living in white suburbia

Caribbean black isolated
in
Living isolated 
in 
In white suburbia,

My white neighbor smiles
But not with her eyes
Hides so as not to speak;
 I accept
Why?
To be accepted,
To be liked
To be respected
To be liked?

Yet I am rejected,

Sincere smiles, conversations,

Emotive hand-waves saved for
Those who look

Like her
she is safe
Looking further a field

In white suburbia,

My neighborhood much of

The same
White on white smiling genuine

Together

While rosy cheeked babies

In dew-filled suburban sunlight walk by
But me —
 I am
Alone
With my black child
On the periphery
Of some silent club, clan

Cult, alienated, clothed in my blackness

In white suburbia

Looking for a better life, a brighter
Future for my family,

Growing cynical feeling weary,

Tired, depressed, repressed

Don’t want to explain

My dreadlocks,
My thick lips, multi-colored hair
 barrettes, afro-centric apparel,

Cobalt blue Volkswagen Passat

Just don’t
Want to explain
I understand you , try to
Understand me
Holding my pain

Told to ignore

Internalized age-old beliefs, 
as I cause

People to downcast their eyes

As I walk by, people who clutch handbags when in

Black male presence
Told to ignore ‘It’ when I see
‘It’ when I feel
‘It’
My African-American

Brothers 
---and Sisters

Accustomed to,

Desensitized from
They already know
‘It’

Will never change
White friends sympathize

Try to empathize

Try to see my side

But unless they 
Feel ‘it’

They can not know

A Caribbean Black

Living isolated in 
In white 
White suburbia
My white neighbor smiles

But not

Not with

With her eyes



Taken from unpublished work titled "Muse Melodies"


1 comment:

  1. There is a clarity to your expressions of what it is to walk in this world in Black skin that is not at all of the overdone "I am a Black militant poet" variety; not at all.

    Thank you for sharing your work with the world. It brings something fresh and new to the table!!!!

    ReplyDelete